Gå videre til hovedindholdet

Points: Developer's Guide to Business Value Part II

SharePoint Apps

<< go to Part I

Points: Developer's Guide to App Business Value
How to bla blah blah
by Sonja Madsen                         

Part II

Make an app

Once upon a time you've built an app. Your app was utterly fantastic. You decided to tell the world how good it is. You've heard about a grand ball. All developers were invited.

On the day of the ball, your evil stepmother made a decision to support both Mac and Windows platform. Doubled the work for that day.

You managed to do all the work, but you didn't have time to buy new clothes for the ball. Exhausted and just about to give up, you opened a window. Sun was about to set. I'm too tired to go to the ball. Next time perhaps, you thought. Suddenly, through the window came a fairy godmother. Right into your room. She used her magic wand to transform your old geeky clothes into high-end fashion items. Now you had to go to the ball.

The ball was a blast. Unbelievable. Everybody that counts for something were there. The prince was there too and he was looking and smiling in your direction.

You got to dance with a prince and on the way from the ball, you dropped a shoe. The prince, who is by the way insanely rich, found your shoe and decided to buy your app.

Happy End



Magic. Fairy godmother. A prince that buys apps...

I don't know about your world.

No fairy godmothers in my world.

Being a developer you probably understood this story as:

if (godMother is true) meet a prince and sell the app

Still, there are other good points to this story.



Here is a step-by-step walk through:

1. Make an app
2. Make a decision, tell the world
3. Beware of evil stepmothers
4. Open a window
5. Learn to dance
6. Go to the ball and drop your shoe
7. Happy End


Part III  Make a decision

Make an app. I know that you've got a brand new idea waiting to be realized. I know that you are a developer and that's what you are good at.

Cool if you've already made an app. You made a lot of apps. You've got many downloads. But, you still work on other projects. You made an app, many apps, and it is not enough.

That's a shame. Not yours. The shame is that so many work hours spent on otherwise highly valued and payed work is not enough. Sometimes it is worth nothing or next to nothing. Still too many evil stepmothers in your life. Just one? Powerful one?

It's a shame. Countries, governments and institutions are not aware of hours spent on coding apps. Hours that could be used on something else. Like walking in the park or coding an app that will be used by millions.



It is not your shame. You are just being a developer. You do what you like in your free time.

Your free time has no price. It's free.
Play a game. Put the price on your time. Set the price. I dare you. Set the price to minimum wage. Like you were using those hours opening hotel doors to people or parking other people's cars. How much did it cost to make the app?

I know: "Much".





You don't want to park other people's cars in your free time. No. You don't set a price on your free time.

Well, your free time looks pretty much the same as your working hours. You code. You are doing the same work in your free time as you do at work. You just don't value it.

You are just being a developer. Developer for your wife or husband, family, employers, neighbors.
Your wife prefers to see you coding than drinking all night, going fishing and falling into water or doing even worse things. Your employer wants you to be a geeky developer and code apps, because you are learning new things, practicing for work. They don't want you to use your weekends and holidays on frenetic dangerous adventures, travelling to places such as San Francisco or French riviera. The App Store benefits of having a lot of apps. Many free apps. They all want you glued to the computer screen. Coding.

What a life! It looks like everybody gains something but you.

Really, what's your gain? You already work hard. Listen to everybody, stepmothers, some nice people too.

You made the app for a reason. Not because your wife doesn't like fish or because your employer wants you to. Are you just a good person that wants to help the App Store to get as many apps as possible? No?

I know, growing up is like getting on the train. Work, family, apps. You can't get off. You just want to make the train wonderful. Make it go fast. Install a pool, good wine and food, travel, people to like you...

Think about technology and platform providers. They all set value on having a great number of developers, so they can sell their expensive products and subscriptions.

You don't care for technology and platform providers? No. What is your reason then? You are a developer. What is your strategy?

Your family, employers, app store, technology providers, they are not against you making money. They are not evil. They are busy making money for themselves and you have to start doing that too.
It is simple as that. It is hard, I know.

It's not your shame. Something went wrong. Your app didn't bring you wealth. No happy end. The app still works. The mistake is not in code. Not in app functionality.

What went wrong? Not learning from your mistakes is just stupid. Find out what went wrong. Be honest. Brutally honest. Write it down.

Honestly, you can keep on coding apps even when you get old and retire. You only need to be able to move one or two fingers and look at the screen from time to time. By that time, they will be making giant screens. Even half-blind, you will be able to see your code.

Coding is fun. Spending your eternity slightly bowed above your laptop. Cool.

I must admit, being a developer ruined my outlook on eternity. I'm filled with anxiety when I think of forever. It is an infinite "while" loop that runs forever. It is a "no go" in programming. It can bring down a whole server.

Caught in a loop you don't like? Do a "break;" if you want out. Exit the loop. Make a new function if you want it to work better.

In developer's terms, your app, your code can build. No errors. Your go to market selling strategy returns "Object reference not set to an instance of an object" error.

You didn't implement all the variables. One of the methods returns null instead of revenue. Your return of investment is zero.

After step 1 (make an app), things you do have little or nothing to do with coding (development).

Selling and strategy is not your area? Nobody have taught you about selling strategy and business value. I know. I haven't been to all developer targeted events, but I've been to many. Events that focus on technology, code. New ways to do what you already are doing. Again and again.

Good places to get inspired. Excellent places to get immersed into new technology. Get it under your skin. Again and again. Caught in an infinite loop.


Coming soon Part IV






Kommentarer

  1. I agree with your thoughts. Amazing how many times theses thoughts passed in my brain.

    SvarSlet

Send en kommentar

Populære indlæg fra denne blog

SharePoint Store - Buying an Add-in, the Customer View

Lite SharePoint add-ins Free to download

Customer at the Microsoft SharePoint Office Store

or

How hard is to add an app

The practical realization of the dream of making a free app and then eventually earning money

Microsoft made some improvements to the store recently. All improvements are welcome. Microsoft has its own add-ins and is focused on strengthening the platform, Office and SharePoint.
I do not work for Microsoft. No thank you.

I'm, just to make it clear, just as any other developer or a company trying to make money from SharePoint add-ins. My own Store is also open for business.

In the following I'll describe how it is to be a customer at the Microsoft's SharePoint store, the process of finding an app, buying the app... Oh, it is called add-in now...

1. Searching for a SharePoint add-in from SharePoint

I clicked on "Add an app" and searched for "page layouts" from SharePoint



I got 32 results. Nice.




I clicked on the link to open the SharePoint St…

Shopify I Love You: Selling SharePoint apps, web parts

Lite SharePoint add-ins Free to download

Shopify I Love You 

It's been 4 years since I've started selling SharePoint apps at Office Store. I was one of the pioneers. Through the years I got used to selling SharePoint apps directly to customers by accepting payments to my account or with PayPal. Recently, I opened my own Store

And I'm thrilled. There is no point in comparing it to the Office Store. It is so much better.

And I'm more than thrilled. It took me less than a day to set it up. Click here. Click there. I got my products, prices, pictures. I can do a discount code for purchases. I accept PayPal and credit card payments with Stripe. All that for around $30 a month.

I could make it even better with custom look and feel, nice pictures. OK, I'll do that :-)

From time to time, I get emails from Shopify with links to articles that can improve my sales. They want me to sell.

Related Content

Ups, I sold an app to 1 billion people!

Points: Developer's Guide to App B…

Ups, I sold an app to 1 billion people!

Ups, I sold an app to 1 billion people!!!

Wow! Really?

No, I didn't :-)

I do have a SharePoint app (25 apps to be exact) at the Store for Office and SharePoint Apps.

No, I don't have 1 billion customers :-)

I enjoy building apps. First I get an idea, then I code the app, style the app, test the app. At the end I do a support document, text, images, and video to present the app for potential customers. Then comes advertising, contact to customers, updates...

And I try to keep my feet on the ground, and that's the reason for a smiley after "No, I didn't" and "No, I don't"

Building apps for Office Store differs from building custom solutions directly to customers. Most of the times, you have to come with idea for an app your self. Most of the time, you don't even know who bought your app.

Blah, bla, bla, no I didn't sell 1 billion apps :-)

I talked about apps with many developers and they were all listening me talking about hosting, app id…