Gå videre til hovedindholdet

Points: Developer's Guide to App Business Value

SharePoint Apps

Points: Developer's Guide to App Business Value
How to bla blah blah
by Sonja Madsen                         

Part I

A developer makes an app, tra la la, app is at the store, bla blah blah, developer sells the app and gets rich

"tra la la" is an extensive and comprehensive process. "bla blah blah" is hard work and dedication.

Amazing how many developers get stuck on the "tra la la".

A developer has an idea. It is a good idea. Developer builds an app. It's in the App Store.
                   End of Story

You got an idea. The idea is tantalizing, fascinating, compelling. Promising. You ponder how to implement it. You need to build a web service,  cut a few corners here and there, squeeze a form or two, apply a theme and you are almost finished. Finished in your mind. You go on with your life as nothing has happened. Go to work, spend time with your friends and family.

You still think about the details, code, showstoppers. It is a clever idea. You can most absolutely implement it. The idea pops up regularly on your mind. Each time, you go through the same process with web service and a theme, and begin doing something else.

Until one day, the idea is burning through your mind. You promised to play catch with you son. It is a lovely day. You gotta spend time with him while he still wants to be with you. The idea is not only in your head. It is taking the control of your arms and body too. You have a hard time doing something else. Like a woodpecker pecks through a tree. The idea is turning into an obsession. You promise yourself that you will use just an hour. You go and start your PC and start coding. This app is not much bigger than the projects you've been doing on your own. When you get the web service running, you are almost there.

The End?

No. When you are in the middle of your first app, finishing the web service, you already have new, even better idea. This new idea will fly. This new idea will rock your world. You really believe this idea will help you beat the system. Earn you recognition. Money.


New ideas, long evenings and nights spent on coding become like an addiction. It seems like an another job. Another job that seems to get you work harder than your regular job. You've got an invisible manager controlling your time off. The invisible manager that steamrolls your every attempt to slow down or do other things. That invisible manager. You.

Ideas come in dreams and any time of the day when you daydream. Each time you are not attentive, there is a possibility that you get an idea. Zap! Like a mosquito. It bites you before you know it.


It is like an addiction. Getting new ideas makes you feel alive. Unique. Developers are people that virtually create something out of nothing. While most of the people use the existing programs and apps, developers create.

You use a fraction of the time you've used to code on the design, the app on icons, images, videos, descriptive text. You just want to finish and submit the app to the App Store. When your app is at the store. You sit and wait. Start on another app.

Despite the developer's disregard for graphics and design, the whole "creation" process reminds me of artists, painters that lived centuries ago.

They've had an idea. They've painted a picture. And all they could do in attempt to sell them is take their precious pictures to the town and sit and wait.

Poor painters, they've earned their living by painting fat ugly people that were rich enough to pay for the pictures. Today, this kind of work in IT business is called consulting.

Poor painters, they've earned money by painting religious scenes, angels, pictures for the church. Today, app stores are places to sell apps. They have an opinion about what kind of apps they want in their store, but they for sure don't directly commission developers to do the apps.

Poor painters, some of them were good, some of them were bad, some of the poor painters became famous. Their paintings are worth a fortune today. They would be loaded, if they lived today. Many of them, died poor. Hungry. Unfortunate. They've painted a picture. Tried to sell it. The end. They've somehow, most of them, got stuck on a "tra la la".

Unfortunately, the happy end story for a developer is:

Make an app. "tra la la" Show the app "bla blah blah" Sell the app. And of course a "ha ha" when you learn to ignore the woodpecker. Happy End.


Continue to Part II


Kommentarer

Populære indlæg fra denne blog

SharePoint Store - Buying an Add-in, the Customer View

Lite SharePoint add-ins Free to download

Customer at the Microsoft SharePoint Office Store

or

How hard is to add an app

The practical realization of the dream of making a free app and then eventually earning money

Microsoft made some improvements to the store recently. All improvements are welcome. Microsoft has its own add-ins and is focused on strengthening the platform, Office and SharePoint.
I do not work for Microsoft. No thank you.

I'm, just to make it clear, just as any other developer or a company trying to make money from SharePoint add-ins. My own Store is also open for business.

In the following I'll describe how it is to be a customer at the Microsoft's SharePoint store, the process of finding an app, buying the app... Oh, it is called add-in now...

1. Searching for a SharePoint add-in from SharePoint

I clicked on "Add an app" and searched for "page layouts" from SharePoint



I got 32 results. Nice.




I clicked on the link to open the SharePoint St…

Shopify I Love You: Selling SharePoint apps, web parts

Lite SharePoint add-ins Free to download

Shopify I Love You 

It's been 4 years since I've started selling SharePoint apps at Office Store. I was one of the pioneers. Through the years I got used to selling SharePoint apps directly to customers by accepting payments to my account or with PayPal. Recently, I opened my own Store

And I'm thrilled. There is no point in comparing it to the Office Store. It is so much better.

And I'm more than thrilled. It took me less than a day to set it up. Click here. Click there. I got my products, prices, pictures. I can do a discount code for purchases. I accept PayPal and credit card payments with Stripe. All that for around $30 a month.

I could make it even better with custom look and feel, nice pictures. OK, I'll do that :-)

From time to time, I get emails from Shopify with links to articles that can improve my sales. They want me to sell.

Related Content

Ups, I sold an app to 1 billion people!

Points: Developer's Guide to App B…

Ups, I sold an app to 1 billion people!

Ups, I sold an app to 1 billion people!!!

Wow! Really?

No, I didn't :-)

I do have a SharePoint app (25 apps to be exact) at the Store for Office and SharePoint Apps.

No, I don't have 1 billion customers :-)

I enjoy building apps. First I get an idea, then I code the app, style the app, test the app. At the end I do a support document, text, images, and video to present the app for potential customers. Then comes advertising, contact to customers, updates...

And I try to keep my feet on the ground, and that's the reason for a smiley after "No, I didn't" and "No, I don't"

Building apps for Office Store differs from building custom solutions directly to customers. Most of the times, you have to come with idea for an app your self. Most of the time, you don't even know who bought your app.

Blah, bla, bla, no I didn't sell 1 billion apps :-)

I talked about apps with many developers and they were all listening me talking about hosting, app id…