Gå videre til hovedindholdet

Ups, I sold an app to 1 billion people!

SharePoint Apps

Ups, I sold an app to 1 billion people!!!

Wow! Really?

No, I didn't :-)

I do have a SharePoint app (25 apps to be exact) at the Store for Office and SharePoint Apps.

No, I don't have 1 billion customers :-)

I enjoy building apps. First I get an idea, then I code the app, style the app, test the app. At the end I do a support document, text, images, and video to present the app for potential customers. Then comes advertising, contact to customers, updates...

And I try to keep my feet on the ground, and that's the reason for a smiley after "No, I didn't" and "No, I don't"

Building apps for Office Store differs from building custom solutions directly to customers. Most of the times, you have to come with idea for an app your self. Most of the time, you don't even know who bought your app.

Blah, bla, bla, no I didn't sell 1 billion apps :-)

I talked about apps with many developers and they were all listening me talking about hosting, app ideas, JavaScript, yada yada yada. When I mention app price, the same second I start talking about how 1000 users are not that many of potential 1 billion users, all developers get interested. It is perfectly understandable.

No, not a billion.

Thinking and dreaming about 1000 users, about money can be a nice way to spend an afternoon. We all like nice things. Spending money is easy.




Do I spend time dreaming about money. No. I don't do it though. I try to think about selling my app to 1 billion people. Yes, 1 billion people.

1 billion is an absurdly large number. Chances that I will sell my app to 1 billion people are 1:100000000 or something. Not going to happen. That silly number, 1 billion, is a good number. It removes my perfectly understandable greed for money, and lets me think more clearly.

What will happen if I sell an app to 1 billion people?

Would it be enough to set the price for my app to 1$ ? 1 billion dollars is a lot of money. I could by a lot of shoes for that.

Would it be the same app, supporting all languages, working smoothly on all platforms, also versions of Windows and browsers that are still yet to come?

How many people out of 1 billion will call me for support?

If I use 3rd party services, access to data or hosting services, how much is all that going to cost me?

People will also expect more from me. More fantastic 1$ apps. I'm good at saying "no", but 1 billion people calling me terrible things can be a burden.

Some people will suddenly start to think that I have a lot of money and they could join people that think I'm a terrible, and I'll have to buy house with high fence and security system.

No. 1$ is not high enough.




This is only SharePoint. We are not in business of saving lives. Cool and other options in Pay Now are here if you think this blog post helped you.

50% of profit goes to charity.
Thoughts


ConnectTo SkyDrive
SkyDrive documents
REST Search
With REST Search Content App Part
Publishing Pages
18 page layouts for Publishing sites
SharePoint 2013 App
Documents TreeView
Sites, apps, folders, and documents
SharePoint 2013 App
Check-In
Check-In and people whereabouts
SharePoint 2013 App
QuickPoll
Quick poll and pie chart statistics



Related Content
SharePoint Apps for Beginners - Log in (Sign in) as another user
How to create a project, how to deploy it to Office 365, and how to make changes - add "Log in as another user" link

SharePoint Apps in Office and SharePoint Store
Business, IT Pro: What's return of investment for Office App Store. Do we need the Store?

SharePoint App Checklist
Developer: What do you need to submit your app to the Office Store? An app that works on a dev site?

SharePoint is like football
Developer, IT Pro, Business: SharePoint is my football

SharePoint-hosted Apps vs. Cloud-hosted Apps
Developer: I wanted to show app architecture and how it differs from SharePoint full-trust farm solutions. I used a relatively simple solution for IT department as an example.

SharePoint-hosted Apps vs. Cloud-hosted Apps Part II
Developer: I wanted to show app architecture and how it differs from SharePoint full-trust farm solutions. I used a relatively simple solution for IT department as an example.

SharePoint 2013 Apps
IT Pro, Business: Everything can be an app. A web part, a custom list, or a button in the Ribbon. App is a new way of packaging SharePoint 2013 solutions.

Adventures with Napa Apps in SharePoint 2013
Developer: What Napa apps have in common with winemaking

SharePoint Branding - Themes
IT Pro, Business, Developer: Introduction to SharePoint 2013 branding and Themes

Other Things I Wrote
#SPC14 - Convince your boss to pay for SharePoint Conference
Developer, IT Pro: I wrote my own "Convince your boss" email, inspired by email found at SharePoint Conference 2014 site

Design Manager
IT Pro, Developer: You can find Design Manager in Site Actions on your SharePoint 2013 site. It converts graphic design that is made as HTML with tools such as Dreamweaver into SharePoint master pages and stylesheets. When HTML with design is imported, you can use Snippets to add web part zones and other functionality.

SharePoint Navigation - Structural, Managed, Intelligent Contextual
Business, IT Pro: When structural navigation is not good enough, and managed navigation is not quite the thing we need.

SharePoint Multilingual Apps
Developer: How do you localize apps? I do multiple languages in JavaScript code in SharePoint apps.

The Story of SharePoint 2013
Once upon a time...

SharePoint Branding in 4D
According to Microsoft, we only need HTML and CSS and we are almost done with the design. Apart from Design Manager, what can possibly go wrong here?

Simply Intranet - Upgrade to SharePoint 2013
IT Pro: Why should you upgrade to SharePoint 2013?

Image Renditions
IT Pro, Business, Developer: Image Renditions allows you to crop images, and control image width and height.

Customize Content Query Web Part
IT Pro, Developer: How to set up Content Query web part and Metadata Managed Navigation and how to customize ItemStyle.xsl

SharePoint Search Vegas Style - Display Templates and Image Renditions
Developer: I’ll show how to use Image Renditions in Display Template for Content Search web part, or to be more elaborate, how to add “?RenditionID=5″












Kommentarer

Populære indlæg fra denne blog

SharePoint Store - Buying an Add-in, the Customer View

Lite SharePoint add-ins Free to download

Customer at the Microsoft SharePoint Office Store

or

How hard is to add an app

The practical realization of the dream of making a free app and then eventually earning money

Microsoft made some improvements to the store recently. All improvements are welcome. Microsoft has its own add-ins and is focused on strengthening the platform, Office and SharePoint.
I do not work for Microsoft. No thank you.

I'm, just to make it clear, just as any other developer or a company trying to make money from SharePoint add-ins. My own Store is also open for business.

In the following I'll describe how it is to be a customer at the Microsoft's SharePoint store, the process of finding an app, buying the app... Oh, it is called add-in now...

1. Searching for a SharePoint add-in from SharePoint

I clicked on "Add an app" and searched for "page layouts" from SharePoint



I got 32 results. Nice.




I clicked on the link to open the SharePoint St…

Shopify I Love You: Selling SharePoint apps, web parts

Lite SharePoint add-ins Free to download

Shopify I Love You 

It's been 4 years since I've started selling SharePoint apps at Office Store. I was one of the pioneers. Through the years I got used to selling SharePoint apps directly to customers by accepting payments to my account or with PayPal. Recently, I opened my own Store

And I'm thrilled. There is no point in comparing it to the Office Store. It is so much better.

And I'm more than thrilled. It took me less than a day to set it up. Click here. Click there. I got my products, prices, pictures. I can do a discount code for purchases. I accept PayPal and credit card payments with Stripe. All that for around $30 a month.

I could make it even better with custom look and feel, nice pictures. OK, I'll do that :-)

From time to time, I get emails from Shopify with links to articles that can improve my sales. They want me to sell.

Related Content

Ups, I sold an app to 1 billion people!

Points: Developer's Guide to App B…